For the week beginning 20th April, RTE School Hub have a range of topics they plan to cover.
Once such topic is weather.
Here is an experiment for you to try at home.
Weather Experiment – Tornado in a Jar
Ever heard of a tornado? It’s a type of storm that doesn’t happen very often in Ireland. A tornado is made up of super strong winds that spin around and around in a tube shape cloud wrecking everything in its path.
Here’s how to make your own tornado –
What you will need:
- A jar with a lid
- Teaspoon of Washing-up Liquid
- Teaspoon of vinegar
What to do:
1) Fill the jar nearly full with water.
2) Add the washing-up liquid and vinegar.
3) Put the lid on and give it a little shake to mix the ingredients.
4) Now swirl the jar in a circular motion, around and around. The swirling motion creates something called a vortex, which looks just like a tornado.